Thursday, April 03, 2008

Finding Shrimp Near Tampa

The Tampa Area is great for finding Shrimp. Sometimes not the largest and sometimes not the sheer numbers as other areas but they are here and many people do not realize it. I regularly post information when myself and my friends head out on my Web Site tampabayfish.com

Currently what you want to look for is a nice calf to knee high deep wading area that has a nice grassy bottom. Some of the bext places that we have found are here and here

The next thing you need is a way to see the Shrimp A nice LED Head lamp works great. White is ok but we find that a RED light actually helps see the eyes a little better. This headlamp is great and Cheap but does the job

The next thing you need is a good Shrimp Net or The "Ozello Shrimper" I recommend the "Ozello Shrimper"! I've used a Net and I've used the "Ozello Shrimper" and it catches double the number of shrimp then a Net.

The reason is because the "Ozello Shrimper" comes down on top of the Shrimp and if the shrimp get spooked they shoot right into it. A net on the other hand comes in from below and if the shrimp gets spooked he "teleports" right out of your net about 5-10 ft away. and if you haven't seen them "teleport" then you haven't been shrimping.

Well Our season here in the Tampa area will really kick off about the last week in April and Last until about the first Week in July. Hopefully this will help everyone "Find Shrimp Near Tampa" and if you do find some and would like to send Pictures Remember "Ozello Shrimper" has a contest running so send him your pics and Also send them to Me at [url]TampaBayFish.com[/url]and I will post them on my weekly pics.

TampaBayFish
http://www.tampabayfish.com
"Google's #1 'Tampa Fishing' Web site".

6 comments:

  1. Dangit Trevor, don't give away the good spots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation Trevor, it means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used this technique a lot up in Panama City, Fl with great success. I plan to try out some recommended spots tonight, and thanks for the local info. BTW I am familiar with the teleporting shrimp phenomene, I think someone should inform Stephen Hawking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You for the information. I have the Ozello Shrimper that I bought about 20 years ago and haven't been out for nearly that long. It hit me the other day that May is the time of year that shrimp get under my skin and I should go out and play again.
    Again, Thank You, I think the itch is back :)
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went out to Dunedin last night and caught a few. Had a really enjoyable night in the knee-deep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:23 PM

    Thanks for the Tips, Gonna Check out Kelly's point this weekend in south Pinellas. Going with the neighbor and we are going to throw 1/2 inch cast nets and see if that works.

    ReplyDelete